Turkey says it has shared recordings related to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi with Saudi Arabia, the United States, Germany, France and Britain, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday. Turkish sources have said previously that authorities have an audio recording purportedly documenting the murder of the Saudi journalist.
The existence of such a recording has never been officially confirmed. Speaking before his departure for France to attend commemorations to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, Erdogan said Saudi Arabia knows Khashoggi’s killer is among a group of 15 people who flew into Istanbul hours before the October 2 killing.
Meanwhile, report gathered that Turkish police have ended the search for Khashoggi’s body, but that the criminal investigation into the 59-year-old’s murder would continue. A Turkish newspaper, Sabah reported today that Khashoggi’s killers poured his remains down the drain after dissolving him in acid.
Sabah said samples taken from the drains at the Saudi consul-general’s residence in Istanbul showed traces of acid. The residence is at walking distance from the Saudi consulate, where Khashoggi – a Washington Post columnist critical of the Saudi government and the all-powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman – was killed by a team of Saudi officers and officials.