Two persons have died in Edo State after consuming some quantity of locally-brewed gin popularly called “Ogogoro’’, believed to have been contaminated, a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports .
The correspondent, who visited Ugieda, South Ibie, in the Etsako-West Local Government Area of Edo on Thursday where the incident took place, reports that three persons were hospitalised at an undisclosed health facility, after taking the substance.
An eye-witness, Mr Lukman Rilwan, told NAN that the five persons who consumed the local brew, had complained of stomach ache afterwards.
“After they consumed the gin, they began to complain of stomach ache; unfortunately two died immediately, while three others are currently hospitalised.”
The traditional ruler of South Ibie Clan, Alhaji Kelvin Danesi, and the Chairman, Etsako-West Local Government, Mr Yesufu Busari, who confirmed the incident, said that a ban would be placed on consumption of the gin.
“I got a report that two people have died and three others are critically ill at the hospital.
“So, we are doing everything to make sure that such things do not happen again. I have already summoned a meeting of all those that are into the sale of alcohol and we are going to place a ban on local gin,” the traditional ruler said.
Busari said that the council would liaise with relevant stakeholders, especially dealers in local gin, to educate and enlighten the people on current happenings.
He appealed to people of the area to immediately desist from consuming locally-brewed gin.