Sri Lanka has revised down the death toll from Sunday’s blasts by more than 100, to “about 253”. The health ministry blamed a calculation error. Suicide bombers struck hotels and churches in the Colombo area and the eastern city of Batticaloa. Hundreds were injured, officials said.
Most of those killed were Sri Lankans, but dozens of foreigners were also casualties, officials said. There were a suspected nine attackers. Police have continued carrying out raids and have issued photographs of seven people wanted in connection with the attacks. It has also arrested more than seventy people.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka’s defence secretary, Hemasiri Fernando, has resigned following the security forces’ failure to stop the deadly church and hotel attacks on Easter Sunday. He said that while there had been no failure on his own part, he was taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as the secretary of defence.
The office of Sri Lanka’s President Maithripala Sirisena confirmed Fernando would serve in the post until a replacement is appointed.