The Oyo state government has said that the death toll from the explosion that rocked Ibadan, the state capital, on Tuesday, January 16, has risen to five.
Many houses were damaged in the explosion, which spanned a 14-kilometre radius.
The State Governor, Seyi Makinde had earlier said preliminary investigations by security agencies revealed that the blast was caused by illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija, adding that the explosion occurred at Adeyi Avenue, Bodija. However, it was heard and felt in many parts of the city.
“Rescue operation is still ongoing. As of yesterday, we had three casualties but this morning, just about 30 minutes ago, I got information from the security operatives supporting the medical team that two more dead bodies were recovered this morning,” he said.