Seven children were rescued on Sunday after fire gutted a storey building occupied by an orphanage home on Wole Madariola Street in the Aguda area of Lagos State.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, in a statement on Monday, revealed that the inferno was caused by a power surge that emanated from an air conditioning unit in the building.
The Permanent Secretary Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu said the Agency received the distress call on the fire incident at about 2:43 pm.
The LASEMA boss further disclosed that the children were formally handed over to the Deputy Director, Mr Balogun, and Mrs Rasheedat Sadik, both of the Child Protection Unit of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development, who then formally handed the seven children over to the RED CROSS.
He added that no injuries, nor casualties were recorded in the near-fatal incident. The operation, he said, was successfully concluded in record time.