The Islamic Movement of Nigeria has said it was wrong to describe as ‘a clash’, the December 2015 killing of about 1,000 members of the sect in Zaria, Kaduna, by the Nigerian Army.
The IMN, on Saturday, called for the immediate release of their leader, Ibraheem Zakzaky, his wife and other members of the sect who have been in detention since last year.
The Shiite sect made the demand during a procession in Kano, where they noted that 1000 of their members could not be found after the supposed clash.
The Kaduna state government recently revealed at the Judicial Commission of Inquiry, that its officials and those of the military buried 347 people, in a mass grave in Mando, Kaduna.
Leading the protesters over the weekend, Abdulhamid Bello said; “Our leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Yaqoub Zakzaky, his wife and hundreds of other brothers of the Islamic Movement are still in illegal detention.”
“Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife, Sister Zeenat’s case is worse, because they are being detained with no charge and are in desperate need of medical attention, which we believe the federal government cannot supply.”
“We have been telling the public that what happened in Zaria was not a clash between the army and members of the Islamic Movement, rather it was a plan to exterminate the Movement carried out by the army to its logical conclusion.”
“In a situation whereby over 1000 people were killed and no army officer lost his life cannot qualify to be a clash; it is rather a military attack by the army on the members of the Islamic Movement.”
“But it seems with the recent revelations at the proceedings of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by Kaduna state government, we have been vindicated.”
“In other words the government has agreed that Nigerian soldiers did indeed kill women and children who carried no arms as we have been claiming since.”
“What the Kaduna State government said is just a tip of the iceberg”, he added.