There were fresh protests in eastern Johannesburg on Sunday, with the protesters demanding that foreigners must go back to where they came from.
During the fresh attacks, one dead, while five others were injured. The nationality of the dead is yet to be known.
The newsmen reported that marchers, who carried weapons such as knobkerries, headed for Jules Park where former Inkatha Freedom Party leader, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, addressed them.
It was reported that the South Africans disrupted a speech in Johannesburg by Buthelez who tried to quell tensions following last week’s riots and xenophobic attacks.
According to the report, Buthelez was heckled by a rowdy section of the crowd.
He told the crowd he had become a mediator and said he felt ashamed about the recent violence which he said was tarnishing the name of South Africa across the continent.
He said, the attacks on foreign nationals and their businesses are purely xenophobic. It is a violation of human rights and a violation of the constitution. The constitution enshrines the right to freedom from all forms of violence. That right applies to everyone in South Africa, whether citizens or not.
The Gauteng Police Commissioner, Elias Mawela, pleaded with residents of the area to allow government to deal with violence in some areas.
NUSA called on Nigerians to stay away from hot spots where violent protest march by Zulu hostel dwellers in Johannesburg took place.
The Publicity Secretary of the union, Habib Salihu, in a statement on Sunday, said this was to avoid a repeat of the violence recorded last week which led to monumental loss of property and innocent lives.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Mission in South Africa says no fewer than four hundred Nigerians have indicated interest and registered to be evacuated from South Africa following the recent xenophobic attacks.
Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, said that Air Peace had offered to airlift those willing to return home following attacks on Nigerians and their businesses by South Africans.
According to him, the first batch of Nigerians who are willing to return home will be repatriated on Wednesday.
The Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, Kabiru Bala, also said that Nigerians had responded positively in good numbers.
Bala said, that the returnees are been documented and emergency travel certificatews will be provided for those without travelling documents.
The President, Nigeria Citizens Association, South Africa, Ben Okoli, said all efforts were geared towards evacuation of those who were ready to come back home.