The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) yesterday said twelve farmers were killed and one thousand, three hundred others displaced in separate attacks coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State.
NEMA’s Northeast Zonal Coordinator Bashir Garga stated this in a statement in Maiduguri, the state capital.
Garba said the insurgents killed twelve farmers on their fields on Saturday afternoon at Kalle village, seventeen kilometers from Maiduguri.
“They used machetes to kill their victims who were working on their farms, as confirmed by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF).
“So far, we recovered twelve bodies from the fields and nearby bush.
“Three persons were injured in the raids. The insurgents had guns, but did not use them so as not to attract the attention of troops in nearby Molai village,” he said.
Garga said the Boko Haram insurgents stepped up attacks on farmers and loggers in recent years because they accuse them of passing information to the military.
The coordinator added that one person was killed and one thousand and three hundred others displaced when the insurgents sacked three communities on Saturday night in Jere Local Government Area.
Garga listed the affected communities as Dala-Malari, Fuguri and Femari.
The NEMA zonal coordinator urged the residents to be vigilant and report suspicious movements and persons to security agents.
He said: “Attacks on soft targets are the hallmarks of the insurgents due to increased military clampdown that has curtailed their activities.
“Humanitarian partners were being mobilised to cater for the victims as soon as possible.”
Also, troops at the weekend repelled an attack by Boko Haram on Mairari and Femari communities in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the insurgents attacked the communities at about eight thirty p.m, killed one person, set houses ablaze and carted away food items.