Leading western powers on Tuesday called on the Democratic Republic of Congo to restore internet access, which operators say was cut on government orders a day earlier following presidential elections. They also backed a request by the main Congolese election monitoring organizations to have access to the centres where the votes are being counted since Sunday’s polling day.
The joint statement was issued by the European Union, the United States, Canadian and Swiss heads of mission in Kinshasa. Internet access was cut on Monday afternoon for an indefinite period on the orders of the government, internet operator Global told AFP Monday.
Mobile phone service Vodacom said the authorities had also cut mobile phone texting. And Radio France Internationale said its broadcasts had been jammed from Monday evening. The station has carried extensive coverage of the presidential election in this francophone country.
The count is underway after Sunday’s vote to determine who succeeds Joseph Kabila as president after his 18 years in power, with the results expected next Sunday.