Authorities of the University of Port Harcourt have accused students of deliberately orchestrating violence against the institution.Vice Chancellor of Uniport, Professor Ndowa Laale said this when he received the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Administration, DCP Mobolaji Odesanya on his visit to the institution.
Professor Laale who decried the violent attitude of the students told newsmen that no fee has been increased since his assumption as VC nine months ago.
The VC of Uniport claimed that the protest was a ploy to make him resign or be removed from office.
While commiserating with the family of the student that lost his life during the protest, Professor Ndowa Laale disclosed that the circumstances surrounding his death were still sketchy.
“First of all, all you hear is that the Vice Chancellor has increased fees but let me place it on record that in Federal Universities, no one pays fees. Government only allows us take some charges which we use to provided certain services for students.
“The charges that are being paid today are negotiated about 2 years ago under the leadership of Prof. Ajienka (the former VC). I have done only 9 months and since I came, I have not increased any fee by a kobo.
“More than 90% of the students had complied and less than 10% has not paid or registered.
“And just like it is a tradition among students that don’t want to write exams, the 90% that has paid later joined the other 10% to go on that riot. And that is what has caused the massive destruction of the school.
“The protest was well-orchestrated, I don’t know what they intended to achieve but I understand that some of the organisers are in touch with some other people who for whatever reasons want the VC out,” he said.
Earlier, the Deputy Commissioner of Police, DCP Mobolaji Odesanya who is now the Acting Commissioner of Police said his visit was to ascertain the level of damage done by the students.
Calm has returned to the Uniport environment with armed police officers providing security and students are seen leaving the campus.