The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities and the Non-Academic Staff Union, University of Ibadan branch today began a three-day protest to demand thirty billion naira Earned Allowance and Federal Government’s refusal to obey court judgment on staff school salaries.
The peaceful protest which drew scores of affected workers to the main gate of the institution affected smooth vehicular movements in and out of the school premises.
The Chairman, UI, SSANU, Wale Akinremi, flanked by other union leaders, said any nation that treats teachers the way Nigerian teachers are treated will never be destined for greatness. Akinremi said the three-day protest would be followed by a branch protest and the “mother of all protests” at the national level.
Last week, the national bodies of both unions had frowned at the alleged preferential treatment extended to ASUU by the Federal Government as seen in the allocation of 80 per cent of monies released to the union, leaving the non-academic staff with 20 per cent.
In a resolution reached after its meeting, the non-teaching university workers rejected the 20 per cent Earned Allowance allocated to the three non-teaching unions. JAC called on the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency, release N30 billion Earned Allowance of non-teaching staff within the period of 2009 to 2016.