A second person has died of Ebola in the eastern DR Congo city of Goma, a major transport hub, the county’s point man for the epidemic told newsmen today. Jean-Jacques Muyembe, in charge of coordinating the fight against the year-old outbreak, said that every measure has been taken to block the chain of transmission.
The first death from Ebola in Goma reported on July 16, sparked a wave of concern. A day later, the UN’s World Health Organization declared the epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern”, a move designed to step up the global response.
According to figures published Wednesday, 1,803 people have died since the haemorrhagic virus was recorded in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on August 1 last year.
Aruna Abedi, in charge of coordinating the Ebola response in North Kivu, the worst-hit province, said the second patient had arrived at a treatment centre “11 days after falling ill.” Abedi urged the public to respond swiftly to symptoms of Ebola and “not hide suspect cases.”