President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed regret over the recent action of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Police Command in Lagos, which led to the avoidable death of Kolade Johnson.
President Buhari, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, in Abuja on Wednesday, acknowledged the genuine outrage regarding the activities of SARS.
The president reassured the public that swift actions had already been taken as the suspects were in custody. Buhari, who commiserated deeply with the family of the deceased, said the government will not tolerate, in any way, the brutalization of Nigerians or the violation of their rights.
He recalled that the Presidency, in 2018 directed overhaul of the management and activities of the SARS, the president said steps were taken by the Police leadership to restructure and reform the squad. Buhari however, observed that a lot more remained to be done and sustained.
The president pledged his administration’s resolve to ensure that the Police and other law enforcement agencies conducted their operations in strict adherence to the rule of law and with due regard to International Human Rights and Humanitarian Laws.