Spokesperson of the Defence Headquarters, Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar, speaking with The Punch on Sunday said the Nigerian military has stepped up plans to deal with the activities of armed herdsmen in the country.
He said the military has set up a Special Task Force codenamed Operation Accord to send a strong signal that the herdsmen challenges would be attended to soonest.
He said, “Well, you are aware that the situation in Benue State is of concern to the military. To show our concern, last week, we had the Chief of Army Staff annual conference in that place, and that demonstrates the extent to which we have shown concern, just to send the signal that we will do something very soon.
“As I am speaking with you, the Operation Accord which is the brainchild of the Defence headquarters would take effect soon. All arrangements, all other logistic requirements, all the training, and what have you, have been completed and what is remaining now is just to ensure that all other things are complete before we move into action. And I believe very soon, the story will change.
“It is unfortunate and it is condemnable that this kind of thing, they claim, is being carried out by some herdsmen but I believe by the time we put all these things in order, all these would go.
“I am assuring you, I am assuring Nigerians that once our operations come into being, incessant attacks by herdsmen against innocent citizens would be a thing of the past.”