President Buhari absent at FEC meeting again; to now work from home
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has given reasons for President Muhammadu Buhari’s absence at today’s meeting of the Federal Executive Council. The minister said the President was observing enough rest. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo today presided over the FEC meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja following the absence of the president for the second time in a row.
Addressing State House correspondents at the end of the meeting, Alhaji Mohammed said the president asked that he should be allowed to rest and instructed the vice president to preside. He also asked that all the files on his table be brought to him at his official residence at the Presidential Villa, Abuja for treatment.
President Buhari sends eighty-two-year-old ambassadorial nominee to Senate again
President Muhammadu Buhari has once again nominated eighty-two-year-old retired Justice Sylvanus Nsofor, whose nomination as a non-career ambassador was rejected by the Senate.
The Senate had last month rejected Nsofor from Imo State and fifty-nine-year-old Mr. Jacob Daodu from Ondo State based on the recommendation of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs. Senate President Bukola Saraki, however, read a letter from President Buhari at the plenary on Wednesday, in which he re-nominated Nsofor and replaced the Ondo nominee with Joseph Olusola Iji. The Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Senator Monsurat Sunmonu, while presenting the report, had stated that Nsofor was not rejected due to his age but based on his performance when he was screened.
I’m not harassing your family, President Buhari tells former President Jonathan
President Muhammadu Buhari has said he is not harassing the family of former President Goodluck Jonathan or any other persons in his administration’s ongoing fight against corruption as claimed by the former President. He said anybody who does not have skeleton in his or her cupboard has nothing to fear about the ongoing anti-graft war.
President Buhari said this in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, while reacting to an allegation credited to Jonathan in a book written by the Chairman of This Day Editorial Board, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi, that his family is being harassed by the present government. The former President was also quoted to have disagreed with the style being used by the present administration in fighting corruption. While saying he is resolute in the fight, the President Buhari however said time will give the verdict on whose style of fighting corruption ultimately yielded the most dividends.
Federal Government to stop sponsoring Pilgrims by 2022
The Federal Government says it will stop sponsoring Christian pilgrims to holy land in five years’ time. Also, to prevent people from using pilgrimage as an Avenue to abscond to other parts of the world, the Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission (NCPC) said it will develop an electronic data capturing system.
This was disclosed in Abuja on Wednesday by the Executive Secretary of the Commission, Uja Tor Uja when he inaugurated Metropolitan and Zonal Coordinators to make movement and funding of the whole pilgrimage process easier. Uja also disclosed that over one thousand pilgrims will embark on pilgrimage on the ninth of May, 2017.
Why I attended Kanu’s trial, Fayose explains
Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State has explained the reason for his presence at the trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, saying it is in line with his belief in justice for all, irrespective of tribe. Fayose further vowed to attend the trials of former National Security Adviser, retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki, and the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.
The governor, who was speaking on a national television, said he will never support a situation whereby court orders, rulings and judgments are disregarded by the government. He noted that courts in the land and even ECOWAS Court have directed that Dasuki be released but that the government has refused to heed the call. While noting that he is not in support of the breakup of Nigeria, Fayose in a statement said that when court grants bail to people, they should be released and allowed to attend their trials from home.
Lawmakers direct Police IG to find 2017 budget report missing from Senator Goje’s ransacked residence
Members of the House of Representatives today ordered the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris to produce the 2017 Budget report allegedly carted away by police men that raided Senator Danjuma Goje’s house on the twentieth April. Senator Danjuma Goje today told the Senate that the 2017 budget documents, including eighteen files, laptop and others have been declared missing. According to him, the documents and items were stolen by the police.
The lawmakers resolved that the IG must produce the missing document today as the report ought to have been laid yesterday.
Kwara government gets two-point-four billion naira as April Allocation
The Kwara State Government says it got two billion, four hundred and eighty-eight million naira as its April allocation from the federal government. The State Commissioner for Finance, Alhaji Demola Banu, in a statement on Wednesday, said this was against the two billion, two hundred and thirty-two million naira the State government received in March.
Banu also revealed that the sixteen local government councils in the State received a total of one billion, eight hundred and twenty-two million naira as allocation for April, against the one billion, six hundred and fifty-eight million they got last month. He however emphasized that in line with the financial arrangement of the federal government, elements of the monthly allocation are received at separate intervals. He noted that this causes occasional delay in payment of pensions, overheads and subventions to Ministries, Departments and Agencies in the State.
Kwara to organize free digital skills training for youths
As part of efforts to open up new markets, generate transformative growth and create jobs, the Kwara state government in partnership with Google Nigeria has announced plans to conduct a one day free Digital Skills Training Programme for youths across the three senatorial districts of the State.
Coordinated by the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Sustainable Development Goals in collaboration with the Office of Senior Special Assistant on Youth Empowerment, the government said this will be of immense benefit to unemployed youths and business owners. The training programme is to hold simultaneously at two centers each in each Senatorial district of Kwara state.
Meningitis death toll hits eight hundred and thirteen
The Federal Government says as of April twenty-fifth, a total of eight hundred and thirteen Nigerians have died of Cerebrospinal Meningitis serotype C. The Minister of Health, Professor Isaac Adewole, confirmed this on Wednesday while addressing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting.
The ministers however assured that efforts are being made towards fighting against the disease, particularly in the most affected states of Zamfara and Sokoto state.