Fire from a lantern has burned the face and legs of a day-old-baby boy in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.
The fire also burnt other parts of the baby’s body immediately after the mother put to bed.The ugly incident happened after the mother had spent two days at the Traditional Birth Attendant’s parlour.
Eye witnesses, Mrs Stella Aluka, told journalists in Calabar that the mother of the baby could not afford to pay hospital bill.
Aluka said the kerosene powered lantern exploded, burning the newborn baby that sustained high degree of injuries.
The baby has been admitted at Victoria Medical Centre, beside Hi-Quality Bakery, Ndidem Usang Iso Road, Marian, Calabar, where he is currently receiving treatments.