Islamic State on Thursday posted a video on messaging site Telegram, claiming responsibility for five attacks in Nigeria, saying they left at least 118 casualties in the past week.
The militant group, which typically uses the “State of West Africa” to refer to Nigeria, made the claim in a video presentation of attacks it says it carried out between Nov. 16 and 22. It did not specify the number of people killed in the attacks, referring only to 118 casualties.
Five security sources told newsmen that more than 100 soldiers had been killed in attacks in Nigeria in recent days, one of the highest death tolls since President Muhammadu Buhari came to power in 2015.
The sources said the insurgents attacked a military base in the village of Metele in northeastern Borno state, the epicentre of a revolt by Boko Haram and splinter group Islamic State in West Africa. Islamic State said it attacked an army base on Sunday in Metele and killed at least 40 Nigerian soldiers. The group said it burned down the base after the attack finished.
The Nigerian Senate had on Thursday adjourned plenary to honour the fallen soldiers. The Senate President, Bukola Saraki also announced that a delegation of senators would travel to the northeast to visit frontline troops, as the opposition party questioned the effectiveness of the counter-insurgency.