Islamic State on Wednesday claimed responsibility for an attack on the convoy of the Borno State, Kashim Shettima who was headed to a rally in northeastern Nigeria ahead of Saturday’s presidential election. The group said in a statement on its Amaq news agency that 42 people were killed in Tuesday’s attack on Borno state’s governor.
Official sources told newsmen earlier on Wednesday that between three and 10 people were killed, and that some of them may have been beheaded.
A civilian militia member said the attack happened near the town of Dikwa as gunmen opened fire at the motorcade transporting Shettima, who was on the campaign trail ahead of nationwide elections on Saturday. Two security sources said three people died.