The committee set up to review the quit notice given to Igbo people in the north met on Monday with no outcome of their deliberations yet. The bi-partisan committee was set up on August fourth to proffer solution to growing tribal tensions sparked by the quit notice.
It was scheduled to hold talks in Abuja on Monday as part of its self-imposed terms of reference. According to a statement issued at the end of the meeting, the committee is extending its deliberations to ten more days “to make way for wider consultations.”
The committee, made up of five northern and south-eastern representatives each, had been set up last week Friday to issue a roadmap towards addressing the quit notice. Although it was given seventy-two hours to produce an acceptable position on the quit notice, it said on Monday that there is the need for more time to enable it do a thorough job.
Shettima Yerima, leader of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, had said the quit notice was triggered by the continued agitation by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). He also blamed the Igbo leaders for “keeping mute” since the agitation started and accused Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB leader, of abusing northern elders.