There was a fire outbreak at the headquarters of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in Abuja on Tuesday.
According to reports, the fire started around 6:30pm from the generator house of the apex bank. The fire service were however called in and the fire was put it out within 30 minutes.
According to the fire fighters, the fire only destroyed a generating set and did not spread to any part of the building.
The bank’s spokesperson, Isaac Okoroafor, however denied reports of the fire incident.
According to Okoroafor, it was smoke of the exhaust from the bank’s generating set that passersby mistook for a fire outbreak.
He however did not state why the fire service was called and what they came to the bank to do.
The statement read, “Reports that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) head office building is on fire are false. Passersby who saw a pall of exhaust from the generator house far away from the building apparently mistook the exhaust for fire smoke.
The CBN maintains a total security system that triggers safety alarms in the presence of smoke and so all fire engines and personnel received the alert only to discover that it was an unusual pall of exhaust.
The affected generator has been rested and normal work has been uninterrupted, while the engineers are working to rectify the issues with the generator. We hereby assure the general public that there has been no fire at our building.”