Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has “firmly” denied raping a woman in a US hotel room almost a decade ago. The thirty-three-year-old Juventus forward said he was calm over “any and all investigations” as he had a “clear” conscience over the allegation he attacked Kathryn Mayorga in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009.
He issued a statement through his Twitter account today ahead of her lawyers giving a press conference on Wednesday. Ronaldo had previously said the allegation, first reported in German magazine Der Spiegel, was “fake news”.
Report says Mayorga had filed a report with Las Vegas police shortly after the alleged incident.But the next year, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a three hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.
Her lawyers are now seeking to declare the non-disclosure agreement void.Ronaldo’s lawyers have previously said they will sue Der Spiegel magazine over its reporting.